Road Trip! 22 June - 26 June 2010 PART II


24 June 2010 (Thursday)

Our plans to get up bright and early kinda failed as I was majorly lazy. It pushed back a lot of our plans for the day. But we managed to accomplish quite a bid anyway! I bought yummy Issac Toast (Oh gosh, I miss it so much!) to kickstart my day!

We got our tickets to Gokseong (곡성) from the machine and I was so amused at how neatly the machine dispensed change in note form.



When we got to Gokseong (which was another run-down terminal), I got distracted by this machine...


I'd seen it on Family Outing and several dramas before and I reaaally wanted to try it. Unfortunately, several thousand won later, I still couldn't get the purple Mashimaro toy! The toy was too heavy for the metal claw! It was a scam!


We cabbed to the nearby Train Village (기차마을/Kicha Maeul)! Cheap, cheap! But the starting rate was 3,000 KRW. Unlike Seoul which has it at 2,400 KRW typically.



Because we had missed the earlier train, we decided to take the Rail Bike for 7,000 KRW to kill time. It turned out to be really fun. We were like little kids, peddling quickly then slowly and then quickly, stopping along the way to take photos, so on.



When we reached the turn around, the Ahjusshi there was so nice. He kept us in the shelter for a bit longer before turning our Rail Bike around (using this huge metal disc on the floor), because the weather was so hot!

We walked up some of the stationary trains and took some photos. I LOVE TRAINS. So vintage/retro!



And then we had a budget lunch, eaten Korean style! Hehe.


You can use the cover as a spoon!

The Ahjumma at the store was so nice. She asked me if we wanted Kimchi to go with our noodles, to which I said no. (I barely ate Kimchi when I was in Korea. Found it too tangy for my taste.) And she started telling this bunch of Ahjusshis that we were foreigners. They went on about how I should try for Misuda. (Global Beauty Talk Show, something like that. It's a show that invites foreigners who are conversant in Korean to discuss issues about Korea/Korean culture.) She was very nice and she kept going on about how I spoke good Korean. (Honestly I don't. My pronouciation's just better than average.)

We boarded the train and met a whole bunch of elderly on an excursion. They were super cute, posing for pictures gamely.


The whole route was pretty scenic and relaxing. After a while, we decided to go out of the train and stay outside. It was a pretty good idea. The breeze > The stuffiness inside the train carriage.



We stopped at a station called Gajeong (가정) and were given about 40 minutes to walk around and take photos. The red bridge kinda shook while we walked on it. But I liked the breeze and the scenery! Being a city kid, it wasn't everyday that I could see a stream with a gorgeous mountain backdrop!





I kept calling out to the Ajusshis, but they didn't bother about me!

And we tried to make the pebbles skip, but failed.

When we got back to the Gokseong train station, we realised that a small corner of the station was the filming site for Taegukgi (태국기), a Korean war movie starring Won Bin. Korea's all about filming sites and couple-y places! Haha.





Based on recomendations, we took a bus to this place where we would supposedly be able to ride a Cable Car up to the highest point in Gwangju and see all of Gwangju. UNFORTUNATELY, we paid and we realised that it wasn't a Cable Car, but a measly Chair Lift. And the most shocking part, we were seated on a Chair Lift with minimal saftey devices that was going up about 200-300 metres! It was so mad scary!





Our shoes were safe!


We ended the evening back at our favourite street! I wanted them to try Dong Dong Ju (Got introduced to it by a Korean friend when I went drinking with CJ and friends a few weeks back.), but the place had run out of it. So we had Rice Wine (막걸리/Makkeoli)! With Seafood Pancake (해물전/Haemul Jeon) and different types of noodles (국수/Kuksu).






Afterwhich we took a bus back to our motel, where we met this rude bus driver who basically gave us a hard time because he knew we were foreigners. He was probably one of the few people I met who was so hostile. Koreans in general are pretty tolerant and friendly towards foreigners, I feel.

And uh, apparently all the noodles and Makkeoli wasn't enough for me, because I sneaked out of the motel at 1-2am to buy a sandwich for myself. I was so scared cos' our motel is a little far in, but thank God, nothing happened to me!

Labels: , , , ,