Winter 2012: Hong Kong Day 1 - Arrival & Tsui Wah

Myself and the sister. (She has a habit of making faces for the camera.)

This trip happened around mid-December last year. Procrastination got the better of me and I've only started editing and uploading the photos now. T.T I bought the Olympus Pen E-PL5 right before the trip, cos' my Canon compact was dying and I've been thinking of getting a Micro Four Thirds camera for a while now. Thing is, because I bought it so last minute, I didn't have much time to master using it, so a lot of my photos were actually shot on Auto mode (Don't judge!). 

I flew over to Hong Kong with the sister a day earlier as the mother had some matters to settle back home. Wanted to fly Jetstar initially, but we realised that the fare only differed by a little if we flew by SIA, hence we chose the latter.

Upon landing, we headed for this bus limousine service called Vigor. We paid 140 HKD per person for a single journey to our hotel - Park Hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui. Their buses apparently leave every hour. The bus took a huge round around the Tsim Sha Tsui area so by the time we got to our hotel, it was almost an hour odd. It stops at the back door of Park Hotel, near DNA Mall.

They give you these stickers to identify you.

When we got to the hotel, Trent (my HK friend who also did his exchange in Korea with me) was waiting for us at the lobby! He waited for us to settle in and then he brought us to Tsui Wah, the quintessential Hong Kong cha chaan teng. They have outlets everywhere in Hong Kong. The Tsim Sha Tsui one was about a 5 minute's walk away from the hotel. 



Visibly happy to meet up after so long!

The only way we could get a group shot without troubling the very-busy waiters.

Fish Balls & Fish Cakes with Rice Noodle in Fish Soup. A little milky-tasting. Felt like there was quite a bit of MSG though.

The sister with her faces...

Prawn Balls with Stirring Noodle in XO Sauce. This was really good! The prawns were so succulent. 

MILK TEA! I must have had like 2-3 cups a day when I was in HK. 

Cripsy Condensed Milk Bread. We were so full by the time we got to this, but it was still SO good.

Swiss-style Chicken Wings. I don't know what's in the sauce but it's both savoury and sweet. Had two of these!

The spread for us three! 

After the really satisfying first meal we had in HK, Trent brought us to Harbour City, about 10-15 minutes walk from where we were. 


I loved the view, and it reminded me a lot of the Shanghai Bund. We also stopped by 1881 Heritage to view the festive decorations. (My photos there turned out pretty bad though, so not posting them up!)

Tsui Wah (Tsim Sha Tsui)
加拿分道2號地下, Hong Kong
G/F, 2 Carnarvon Road, Tsim Sha Tsui

Labels: ,